Monday, December 21, 2009

Cherry Fallen


The news that Brittany Murphy has died at the age of 32 sent me with curiosity back to her filmography, and thence to the surprising realisation that I have seen far more of her films than I realised. Most I would never dream of watching again - but however little I remember of some of them, in every case I remember her contribution, and I remember being impressed by her every time. A talented, sparky, unusual, likeable soul.
And one that I certainly will watch again, at least once every couple of years until they take me out the door feet first, is Cherry Falls (2000) one of my favourites of the post-Scream, postmodern slasher wave, (which I discuss here). She is, and looks, great in this film, investing a pretty straightforward slasher heroine character with unwritten dimensions all her own, adding immeasurably to the off-kilter flavour of the film itself.
Sad news.
.

4 comments:

Mykal said...

Matthew: Nice tribute to an actress that will never reach her potential. As the poet (Whittier) said: " . . .of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'". Words I often find misused but they do occasionally fit the moment. -- Mykal

Matthew Coniam said...

Yes, she had a genuinely unusual quality.
She would have been good sixty years down the line, in supporting roles as a little old lady; alas, never to be.

James said...

'A talented, sparky, unusual, likeable soul' - lovely tribute Matthew. I'd just like to add that it may have been Jolie who got the Oscar for Girl, Interrupted - but when she was onscreen, Murphy was the real star of that film.

Matthew Coniam said...

Yes - Girl, Interrupted is one of the ones I've seen actually (I've always been rather keen on Winona), and I completely agree with you.