Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Vincent Price poll results

Thanks to the 105 readers who voted in the Vincentennial poll.

I asked you to choose your favourite of the great man's horror films, and proposed fourteen of the most likely options. Even so, the 'other' category itself attracted eleven votes - the fourth biggest share - so do please let me know which films you prefer in the comments.

I'll admit to a few highly personal inclusions, such as my own choice, House of the Long Shadows, which picked up an encouraging four votes beside my own, and Madhouse, which at least somebody out there likes as much as I do!


As for the rest, a surprisingly low showing for House of Usher and Tomb of Ligeia, which only mustered one vote each (whereas Invisible Man Returns pulled in three), and I must admit to being pleased that Witchfinder General (in which Price is superb, but which remains a basically annoying film to me) did well but not too well.
There was little doubt that Theatre of Blood would win, which is only right and proper I think, though for a lot of the way it was neck and neck with House on Haunted Hill.
But in the final stages a late surge for Dr Phibes split the impasse and Theatre just streaked ahead.


All in all, I would say that his British films received most attention, then the William Castles, then the Roger Cormans: Theatre aside, probably the reverse of what I might have expected.

Here are the results in full, and keep looking in for more Price-related posts in coming months to celebrate his anniversary.
And if this all leaves you feeling hungry, go and visit Jenny at the Vincentennial Cookblog.


1. Theatre of Blood (15 votes)
2. The Abominable Dr Phibes and House on Haunted Hill (13 votes each)
4. 'Other' (11 votes)
5. House of Wax and Witchfinder General (9 votes each)
7. Masque of the Red Death (8 votes)
8. The Fly (6 votes)
9. House of the Long Shadows, The Pit and the Pendulum and The Tingler (5 votes each)
12. The Invisible Man Returns (3 votes)
13. House of Usher, Madhouse and Tomb of Ligeia (1 vote each)

6 comments:

Lya de Putti said...

Oooh, fascinating! Will link to this later over at the Vincentennial Cookblog. I too am keen to hear what fell into "others".

Meanwhile for all you Vincent Price fans - the recipe of the month over at Silver Screen Suppers is for his awesome NEW YEAR VOL-AU-VENT!

http://www.silverscreensuppers.com/recipe-of-the-month

Jenny

Magpie said...

I know this is a digression, but I'd just like to mention that Vincent Price's portrayal of Simon Templer in the radio plays of "The Saint" were fantastic, and I don't think he gets enough credit for them.

Matthew Coniam said...

A digression it may be but I could not agree more. I love him in The Saint; it's probably my favourite old time radio show.

Zelda Manners said...

If anyone here doubts his performance in the radio version of The Saint, I would have to ask them if they had ever heard a better non-visual kiss.

RoseOfTransylvania said...

I seem to always miss your polls, aaargh!
Anyway, my vote would have been House of Wax.

Matthew Coniam said...

That would have pushed it pleasingly ahead of Witchfinder General! I'm almost tempted to update just so that it can...